Most people, including non-smokers or first-time smokers are familiar with the term “bong”.
This is no surprise, as there is evidence of bong usage from an estimated 2,400 years ago. Its popularity grew in China during the late Ming Dynasty in the 1500s.
Even though many people have heard of bongs, most are unfamiliar with how exactly they work.
Below we are going to cover how a bong works, and why, if you enjoy herb, you may want to purchase one.
A Different Smoking Experience.
First, why should you care? The answer is that bongs give a different smoking experience than blunts or pipes. When you compare a dry hand pipe to smoking from a bong, the bong offers a smoother draw that is less harsh and easier on the throat because you are not inhaling heat. Many proponents of bongs say that the hit is smoother and provides a stronger the effect due to less combustion than joints or pipes.
Parts of a Bong
To understand how a bong works, first you need to know the different parts of a bong.
The bulb-like attachment is the bowl, and that's where you put the dried and ground herb before you combust it. It’s often removable, allowing it to function as a slide or carb.
The hole, usually next to the bowl is the Carb (also referred to as the carburetor or choke). Its purpose on a bong is to clear the smoke from the chamber and to allow control of the airflow when smoking.
This section where you put your mouth before inhaling is the mouthpiece.
The downstem is a small section that connects the bowl to the main chamber. It allows the smoke to pass through the bong via suction pressure where it cools and exists the mouthpiece.
This is the chamber that ends in the mouthpiece. It fills with smoke when you inhale.
The water chamber is the section of the bong that contains water. Its purpose is to filter and cool the temperature of the smoke.
A percolator is an additional smoke filter. A common one sold here at DracoGlass is called a recycler bong. The recycler perc is usually a long tube that will connect two or more chambers on the bong. The smoke and water continuously move between separate chambers offering a cool, smooth hit.
How Does a Bong Work?
The principles of a bong are fairly simple. When you ignite your herb in the bowl, it produces smoke. The difference between a pipe and bong, is the water. In a bong, the smoke passes though the water chamber where it is cooled and turned into vapor. The water also acts as a filter since it removes a significant amount of tar and ash created by the combustion. The downstem then gets covered by water and acts as a bit of a regulator keeping the terpenes in the vapor.
How Do You Use a Bong?
Now that you’re familiar with how a bong works in theory, you may be asking yourself, how do I use a bong so that the it functions correctly?
- First, pour enough water in the bong to completely submerge the downstem.
- Add the tobacco to the bowl. Tip: Don’t pack too tightly or some will not burn when you light it.
- Put your mouth on the mouthpiece, light the herb, and start inhaling the vapor.
- When the chamber becomes filled with white smoke, you can release the carb or pull the slide if it has one. You can Inhale the smoke from the chamber and return the slider when you exhale.
Types of Bongs
- Standard Tube bongs - These are the typical bongs and what a lot of people use.
- Recyclers – As mentioned above, the recycler bong has the smoke and water continuously moving between separate chambers, offering a smooth hit.
- Gravity bongs – you can hand make these from different things in your home. However, glass ones that are professionally made do work better than homemade. Gravity bongs work by using suction to build a giant cloud of smoke and then utilize pressure (created by water and gravity) to propel this cloud of smoke directly into your lungs.
- Beaker bongs – These are water pipes that feature a wide bottom that offer increased stability and a smooth smoke.
Our Final Thought on How Bongs Work
If you are not fond of pulling in heat when you inhale your herb, consider a bong. Bongs offer cool vapor instead of hot smoke, which allows you to draw more in. DracoGlass has a wide selection of bongs, at affordable prices and free 2-4day shipping in the US.